Friday, September 19, 2014

Grandma Pat visits!

Two weeks ago, Grandma Pat came for a visit! The kids were in school when she arrived, so she and I enjoyed a nice lunch together, overlooking Portland.


That night, Grandma Pat treated me to a wonderful concert by Brandi Carlile. I actually hadn't heard of her, but she was amazing, and it was a unique opportunity for me to be out on the town on a Friday night. I really couldn't remember the last time I drove after dark! Anyway, I got one shot of the stage before the concert before I was told that photos weren't allowed. It was in a beautiful concert hall, and she was accompanied by the Portland City Orchestra.


But what about the kids? Our weekend included several fun activities. First, a birthday party for Brielle's friend, Angelo.
Here, it seems like most birthday parties involve going to one of several indoor kid entertainment complexes. This was our second party at this one, so we knew the kids would enjoy it. Ronan surprised (and frightened) us several times by climbing to the top of this structure! It was sometimes impossible to see him and we stood guard, ready to climb up and save him. Then he'd appear at the bottom of a slide with a huge grin on his face. Brielle was a wonderful big sister, following him and calling to him to make sure he was okay.



We also headed out on a very sunny, hot day to the local Renaissance Festival. Brielle dressed up in several colorful skirts.

All hail the queen!

It was fun to see all the vendors and performers (and many visitors) all dressed up.

One interesting show was this strange guy playing this contraption of ancient bells. It was pretty cool until some synthesizer music came out of nowhere...


Both kids were fascinated by the mermaid pool.



We listened to a story told by a fairy, and the kids got special gifts.


And, of course, there was a jousting tournament!

Ronan really seemed to enjoy it.



Finally, the kids made a new little friend.


Grandma Pat's birthday was in August, but the kids had a couple special gifts of their own to give her.

The kids had a great time with Grandma Pat!


No comments:

Post a Comment