Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Rooster?

We've had some interesting animals in our yard...birds, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, snakes, deer, a bunny, coyotes, and even a rat. But this was new. About a week ago, we heard a "cock-a-doodle-doo" coming from outside. We walked outside and realized it sounded like it was coming from our backyard. We walked up the hill behind our house, and out of the bushes came this little guy!

He came down and hung out with us for a while. He seems comfortable with people, and roosters are actually allowed in our neighborhood, so we figured someone must have lost a pet. For the last week I've been posting online, checking with neighbors, and making phone calls. Although a lot of people here have chickens - seriously, I know many people who have chickens in their backyards - none of them had (or wanted) a rooster.

He disappeared for a few days and I hoped he had found his way home. But yesterday he showed up again and has apparently decided he lives with us. We don't want a rooster, and I doubt our neighbors would appreciate being waken up in the morning (although we haven't heard him do that yet). But I have to admit he's been growing on me. He's really cute, and so beautiful!

He wants to come inside and join our family...

However, there's one family member who would NOT be happy with having a chicken in the family...

I've learned that it's very difficult to find a home for a rooster, which is sad. I have one possible lead for someone with a farm who might take him if I don't find the owner. It's been special having him around, but I'll do everything I can to find him the home he deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment